This Support Group offers spouses of people with dementia living in a personal care home the opportunity to meet and share information about their experience of caring for someone who has transitioned into long-term care. This caregiving experience presents unique challenges for care partners to navigate, as their role changes, as they adjust to changes in self identify, as they adjust to living separately from their spouse, and as they help to support a spouse in their dementia journey.
These meetings offer a supportive and confidential environment in which care partners:
- Meet and discuss common concerns, as well as experiences
- Exchange ideas and coping strategies
- Enjoy mutual support from others in an informal environment
- Gain knowledge and information regarding the nature and progression of the disease, care partner role changes, and navigating the personal care home environment
How will a Support Group benefit me?
Attending a Support Group will help you to:
- Feel less isolated and decrease feelings of grief that can be associated with moving a spouse into personal care home
- Maintain positive self-esteem and well-being
- Cope with changes in your role and relationship with the person with dementia
Who can join the Support Group?
The Support Group is for spousal care partners who are:
- Caring for a spouse who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease or another dementia and lives in a personal care home
- Feel comfortable sharing their experience with others in a small group
Who facilitates the Support Group?
The Support Group is facilitated by Alzheimer Society of Manitoba Client Support staff.
How often does the Support Group run?
The Support Group is offered monthly on the 2nd Wednesday of the month from 2-3:30 pm at the Alzheimer Society provincial office located at 10-120 Donald Street in Winnipeg.
For more information and to register for the Support Group, please contact the Alzheimer Society at 204-943-6622, or via emailing email@example.com confirming your full name and the date/time of the group you are registering for.