Housing Options

On this page:

Assisted Living

Assisted living is an option for older adults who are generally active and independent but require increased supervision and assistance with meals, housekeeping and laundry. Essentially, these are room and board residences geared to the needs of older adults to make it easier to live independently. Assisted living does not offer 24-hour home care support.

Assisted living facilities offer:

  • A private apartment/room
  • Housekeeping, laundry and support services
  • Assistance with some daily activities
  • Meals
  • Common living and recreation areas, activities and social opportunities


Assisted living is not an insured service via Manitoba Health and is not associated with the health-care system. Individuals pay and applications are reviewed and approved by the site. Each residence is independently owned and operated, meaning that the level of services provided and the costs vary from site to site. The costs associated with assisted living are often higher than what you would expect to pay if living independently. Waitlists also vary by site.

It’s encouraged to research and visit the facilities you’re interested in for more information.


Supportive Housing

Individuals eligible for supportive housing are older adults who can no longer manage in their own homes but are not yet ready for personal care home placement.

In supportive housing, each resident lives in their own apartment within a group community setting. Meals are provided and residents share a common kitchen and living area. Laundry and housekeeping services are available, as well as social and recreational activities. Some assistance with personal care is provided. On-site support and supervision within a secure environment are available 24 hours a day.

Supportive housing price points vary from site to site. Individuals pay the sponsor (landlord) directly for the rent and service package.


Those interested in supportive housing are assessed for eligibility by their local Regional Health Authority (RHA). To determine if someone living with dementia is a candidate for supportive housing, talk to their home care case coordinator. If they do not have a home care case coordinator, contact the local RHA for more information. If the person living with dementia is in the hospital, talk with the health-care team.

To view a full list of Manitoba RHAs and contact info, click here.


Personal Care Home

A personal care home (PCH) provides personal care services to individuals who can no longer manage independently at home with family support and/or community services such as home care, and where other assisted and supportive housing options are not suitable. Personal care services are offered throughout Manitoba. These services include:

  • Meals (includes meals for special diets)
  • Assistance with daily living activities such as bathing, getting dressed and using the bathroom
  • Necessary nursing care
  • Routine medical and surgical supplies
  • Prescription drugs eligible under Manitoba’s Personal Care Home Program
  • Physiotherapy and occupational therapy, if the facility is approved to provide these services
  • Routine laundry and linen services

When selecting a PCH, it is suggested to visit several facilities and inquire about:

  • The waiting period
  • Care practices for people living with dementia
  • Cultural, language and religious considerations


To be eligible for PCH placement, the person living with dementia must be a Manitoba resident and registered with Manitoba Health. Canadian residents living in Canada and relocating to Manitoba are eligible for PCH services immediately following the individual’s move to Manitoba and receiving a Manitoba Health Services number.

If the person living with dementia lives in the community, contact their home care case coordinator for more information. If they do not have a home care case coordinator, contact the local Regional Health Authority (RHA) for more information. If they person living with dementia is in the hospital, talk with the health-care team.

To view a full list of Manitoba RHAs and contact info, click here.


All PCH residents in Manitoba are required to pay a charge, called a residential charge, which is set by Manitoba Health. The daily charge is determined by an assessment of the annual income of each resident and is re-evaluated by Manitoba Health annually in August.

The cost of these services is shared by the provincial government (Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living) and the resident who needs the services. The provincial government pays the majority of the cost through the Regional Health Authorities and the resident pays the other portion of the cost.

Applicants currently admitted to the hospital begin paying the residential charge once their application has been approved. All hospital-paneled clients must move to the first available PCH bed. If a client refuses the offer for admission to a PCH, the hospital or health centre has the right to charge them the current daily per diem rate.

Applicants waiting in the community for placement in a PCH begin paying the residential charge on the day they are admitted to the home.

For more information on the personal care services and charges in Manitoba, please refer to the following resources:


Paneling Process

Paneling is the approval process for eligibility for the long-term care program, including admission to a personal care home (PCH).

Once an individual’s needs are no longer being managed safely or effectively at home, you can request information on accessing long-term care from your home care case coordinator. They will review other options such as assisted living, supportive housing and companion care. If it’s decided that moving to a PCH is the most appropriate option, steps will be taken to complete an application.

The case coordinator then completes an application form in consultation with the individual, family and health-care team. The form requests medical and care information that must be provided by the doctor and other medical specialists.

If someone living with dementia is in the hospital, the social worker or long-term care navigator will help in completing the application.

The Long Term Care Access Centre (LTC Acess Centre) is responsible for scheduling panel dates, ensuring individuals have access to long-term care services that are most appropriate to their needs and maintaining waitlists for personal care home/long-term care programs.

The Long Term Care Access Centre Navigator (LTC Navigator) will work with the home care case coordinator to panel and approve the application.

If the applicant is paneled and approved:

  • The individual’s name is placed on the waitlist for their preferred PCH
  • A staff member from the PCH reviews the application and contacts the individual or family to ensure the PCH can meet the individual’s needs and plan for admission
  • The PCH notifies the individual or family (and hospital if required) of the planned admission date

The day the application is approved is referred to as the “Panel Date”. The waitlists for PCHs in Manitoba vary from a few days to months to years depending on someone’s preferred facility.

If it’s determined that the applicant’s care needs do not require placement to PCH, the application will be rejected. A decision may be deferred if additional information is required.

If the application is denied, the home care case coordinator will discuss community or other options with the individual/family.


Selecting the Best Home For You

When thinking about which personal care home may be the best fit for someone living with dementia, going on tours of facilities that interest you can help. This also allows you to ask questions about dementia care strategies and whether the staff uses dementia-friendly approaches when providing care.

Additionally, care partners should consider the needs and values of those living with dementia. Some things to think about are:

  • Is it important to live close to friends and family?
  • Do they prefer a faith-based facility?
  • Do they want access to an outdoor space?
  • What is the timeline to move in?

This printable Long-term care home checklist from the Alzheimer Society of Canada can help you cover all of your questions when visiting different homes.


Regional Health Authorities

There are five Regional Health Authorities in Manitoba:

Winnipeg Regional Health Authority
Home Care Central Intake
Website: Home Care | wrha.mb.ca

Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority
Home Care Administration
Or connect directly with a case coordinator in your area
Website: Home Care | ierha.ca

Northern Regional Health Authority
General Inquiries Line
Toll-free: 1-888-340-6742
Or connect with your local health centre or nursing station
Website: Our Locations | northernhealthregion.com

Prairie Mountain Health
Home Care Central Intake
Toll-free: 1-855-474-3338
Website: Home Care | prairiemountainhealth.ca

Southern Health-Santé Sud
General Inquiries Line
Toll-free: 1-800-742-6509
Or connect directly with your local home care office
Website: Home Care | southernhealth.ca


More Resources

  • Long Term & Continuing Care Association of Manitoba
    To explore housing options available to older adults in Manitoba, including options for independent living, supportive housing, personal care homes and aging in place communities, visit: ltcam.mb.ca
  • Winnipeg Housing Directory for Older Adults
    A & O: Support Services for Older Adults publishes the Winnipeg housing directory for older adults. The guide provides resource information about housing options within Winnipeg, including independent living, assisted living, supportive housing and long-term care: Housing Directory – A & O: Support Services for Older Adults | aosupportservices.ca